Day Out With Thomas™ is a family event that offers aspiring engineers and their families the unique opportunity to take a ride with the classic storybook engine, Thomas the Tank Engine™ at regional heritage railroads across the country. Here at Conway Scenic Railroad, this is our largest summer event, and every July we welcome thousands of young families who combine a visit with Thomas with the wealth of other activities and attractions in beautiful Mt. Washington Valley.
We’re surrounded by the White Mountain National Forest and all the recreational opportunities that it offers, and hugely popular family attractions such as Story Land are just minutes away. The North Conway area also boasts a wonderful variety of lodging and dining options, along with tax-free shopping. It’s no wonder we’re one of the most popular destinations in New England, and we hope that your summer plans include visiting Thomas and his friends while they’re here!
Most of your questions about the event should be answered below, but please don’t hesitate to email us or call us at 800-232-5251 if you need additional information, or have any special requests. Be sure to read all that’s included in your ticket price, and plan to allow enough time during your visit to enjoy everything there is to do here!
- 1 PRE-EVENT INFORMATION
- 1.0.1 Who is Thomas the Tank Engine?
- 1.0.2 What are the appropriate ages for Day Out With Thomas?
- 1.0.3 Where is the event?
- 1.0.4 How much are tickets?
- 1.0.5 How do I purchase tickets?
- 1.0.6 Who needs tickets?
- 1.0.7 How will I receive my tickets?
- 1.0.8 Are there any refunds?
- 1.0.9 Will Thomas the Tank Engine be there?
- 1.0.10 Will Sir Topham Hatt be there?
- 1.0.11 Do you recommend purchasing tickets in advance?
- 2 DAY OF EVENT INFORMATION
- 2.0.1 What times do trains depart?
- 2.0.2 When should we arrive for our train ride with Thomas?
- 2.0.3 Is there assigned seating on the train?
- 2.0.4 How long is the train ride?
- 2.0.5 Are you limited to just one train ride?
- 2.0.6 How do I get to there?
- 2.0.7 Is there an additional cost for parking?
- 2.0.8 What if there is inclement weather?
- 2.0.9 Are cameras allowed?
- 2.0.10 Will there be food available?
- 2.0.11 Are strollers permitted?
- 2.0.12 Is the event handicap accessible?
- 2.0.13 Are pets allowed?
- 2.0.14 Is there available lodging in the area?
- 2.0.15 How do I find out about other events?
on the Buy Tickets icon on the Day Out With Thomas main page or by calling
TicketWeb at 866.468.7630. They also can be purchased directly from Conway Scenic Railroad and picked up on the day of the event.
What’s included in the ticket price? A ticket for Day Out With Thomas includes the train ride with Thomas the Tank Engine, as well as a variety of Thomas & Friends themed entertainment, including Storytelling and Video Viewing, live music, plus unlimited motorcar rides, engine tours, mini golf, bouncy houses, and an awesome Imagination Station that’s organized and staffed by the Mt. Washington Valley Children’s Museum. Here there are Thomas play stations, face painting, entertainment, temporary tattoos, and more, including “Frodo the Tank,” a 75-pound tortoise that free roams the area! Guests will also have the opportunity to meet Sir Topham Hatt, the Controller of the Railway on the Island of Sodor. The average length of stay for past guests has been 3.5 hours, so please plan accordingly.
DAY OF EVENT INFORMATION
Is there parking available on site? There is limited parking on the Railroad property itself, but there should be good availability within the surrounding village. TRAFFIC TIP: parallel to Route 16/302, coming from the south, is the “North/South Road:” turn right at the light at Burger King, then turn left at the second light across from Paris Farmers Union. You are now on the North-South Road. Proceed straight through the round-about, and you will be in North Conway Village in about five minutes, with no more lights, and little traffic. All three of the parking lot options below are within easy walking distance of the railroad, with Depot Road being the furthest. As you enter the Village, be sure to look for individual parking spaces, which should be readily available, especially early in the day. Main Street through North Conway (Route 16/302) is to your immediate left coming down the North-South Road.
- Depot Street Parking: take the first right after Artist Falls Road, which is the first of the Village streets. You will see the “Thomas Parking” sign.
- Seavey Street Parking: proceed past Artist Falls, Depot, and Grove. Turn left and look for Decades Restaurant on the right. Our “Thomas Parking” sign will be visible. You may park here from 9:00AM until 4:00PM.
- River Road Parking: continue past Seavey and turn left onto Kearsarge Street. At the light, right onto Main Street, then left at the light immediately past the Eastern Slope Inn onto River Road. Our “Thomas Parking” sign will be on your left. Park anywhere in this lot. You have two options to access the Railroad: (1) for those with strollers or who have difficulty walking, the tunnel would be best. This will bring you to Main Street, and the Railroad is about 1/2 block to your right, or (2) there is a steep access road at the far end of the lot that can also be used as a pedestrian walkway and is the quickest route to the Railroad yard.